FedEx Driver Earns National Grand Champion Title at National Truck Driving Championships
MEMPHIS, Tenn., Aug.15, 2012—For the third time in nine years, a driver representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) has earned the coveted National Grand Champion title at the 2012 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC). This year’s competition was held in Minneapolis, Minn., Aug. 7-11.
Don Logan, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Topeka, Kan., was crowned National Grand Champion for achieving the highest score among the winners of all nine classes in the competition. He also earned the National Champion title in the Flatbed class and won the Vehicle Condition Award, which is presented to the competitor who best exemplifies his or her understanding of equipment and commitment to safety. The 2010 National Twins Champion and 2009 National 3-Axle Champion, Logan is a six-time Kansas state champion who has exceeded the 2 million-mile accident-free mark during his 25-year driving career.
In addition to Logan, two other FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles:
- Roland Bolduc, a driver for FedEx Express domiciled in Windsor Locks, Conn., won the 3-Axle class. A 10-time state champion who has accumulated more than 1.5 million safe-driving miles, Bolduc has been a professional driver for 28 years and is a former captain for the American Trucking Associations’ (ATA) America’s Road Team.
- Ed Gertz, also a driver for FedEx Express, attained the national title in the Step Van class in his first appearance at the NTDC. Based in Londonderry, N.H., Gertz is an 18-year professional driver.
Additionally, eight competitors representing FedEx placed among the top-three finishers in their respective vehicle classes:
- Jason Matte, FedEx Freight (Jackson, Miss.) – 2nd place, Tank Truck
- Mark McLean, FedEx Freight (Newburgh, N.Y.) – 2nd place, Twins
- Chris Outen, FedEx Freight (Portland, Ore.) – 2nd place, 4-Axle
- Pat Rudesill, FedEx Ground (New Orleans, La.) – 2nd place, 5-Axle Sleeper
- Sean Saxon, FedEx Ground (Tempe, Ariz.) – 2nd place, Step Van
- Mike Bills, FedEx Express (Durham, N.C.) – 3rd place, Step Van
- Len Coleman, FedEx Freight (Greensboro, N.C.) – 3rd place, Twins
- Vic Skoglund, FedEx Freight (Everett, Wash.) – 3rd place, Tank Truck
“The performance of all of our competitors at the NTDC confirms that FedEx team members are among the most elite group of drivers in the industry,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman and CEO, FedEx Corp. “Our 11 top-three finishers demonstrate our collective commitment to making the roads safer for everyone.”
The ATA sponsors the annual championships, known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” to recognize industry leadership in safety and to promote professionalism among truck drivers. A record 137 professional drivers from 47 states from FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Each driver was required to demonstrate his or her driving skills and knowledge of the industry through a series of tests, including a written exam, vehicle pre-trip inspection and driving-skills challenge.
You may also like:
November 22, 2016
More like this in blog
July 6, 2016
More like this in Newsroom