FedEx Introduces Enhancements to Deep Frozen Shipping
MEMPHIS, Tenn., February 4, 2013—FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) recently rolled out features for its FedEx Deep Frozen Shipping Solution that offer more options and broader access. The end-to-end service helps customers move temperature-sensitive samples and specimens around the world using an innovative alternative to dry ice.
The FedEx Deep Frozen Shipping Solution uses a liquid nitrogen dry vapor technology that maintains a temperature of below -150 degrees Celsius for up to 10 days using the CryoPort Express® Dry Shipper. With the enhancements, customers will now have:
- The ability to ship dangerous goods in the dewar
- Options for domestic delivery that range from urgent to less critical
- Choices in dewar sizes: standard or large volume enhanced
- An improved, user-friendly ordering interface, powered by CryoPort®, to meet customers’ shipping and reporting needs
- Automated, proactive notifications
- Later cut-off times for order processing
- Additional refurbishing stations in Europe and Asia
- More destinations covered by FedEx Priority Alert® to assist in advance monitoring and intervention of shipments that might be delayed
“These new features provide our healthcare customers with even greater access to some of the latest technology for shipping deep frozen items without dry ice,” said Carl Asmus, vice president of Market Development for FedEx. “This is just one more example of how the FedEx HealthCare Solutions team continues to innovate and look for opportunities to exceed our customers’ expectations.”
The process for facilitating a deep frozen shipment is simple. Customers place orders online through a customized FedEx portal. FedEx provides the pre-conditioned container to the customer to load their temperature-sensitive product. FedEx then delivers the container to its final destination while actively providing advance monitoring of the shipment and intervening if needed during transit. Finally, FedEx picks up the container and returns it for refurbishing.
Customers involved with clinical trials, diagnostics, biotechnology or manufacturing of pharmaceuticals will continue to benefit from the current features of deep frozen that include:
- Up to 10 days of holding time (<-150C) to support extended international moves
- Elimination of dry ice, removing the need to re-ice shipments or purchase, inventory or manage insulated boxes
- No need to train and certify personnel on handling hazardous materials
- Reduced environmental impact since the non-dangerous goods container is recycled and liquid nitrogen evaporates harmlessly
- Proactive monitoring and intervention from origin to destination
“The world of healthcare logistics is always evolving, and we are staying at the forefront of innovation to meet some of the unique needs of our customers,” said Tom Dale, director of FedEx HealthCare Solutions. “When we combine that innovation with the reliability of the FedEx transportation network, we are able to offer a unique solution that is unmatched in the industry.”
The FedEx Deep Frozen Shipping Solution is classified under the International Air Transport Association (IATA) as a non-hazardous dry shipper and meets the requirements to handle both infectious substances (UN3373) and non-infectious clinical samples.
To learn more about the FedEx Deep Frozen Shipping Solution, customers can call 1-800-GoFedEx (1-800-463-3339) to be connected with a Sales professional.
About FedEx HealthCare Solutions
FedEx HealthCare Solutions is committed to offering specialty services to the healthcare industry. In addition to core shipping services, FedEx also offers customized solutions including temperature-controlled ground and air transport, a high degree of visibility and compliance with 24-hour monitoring, and end-to-end solutions to handle storage, fulfillment and distribution of inventory. Features such as the new Boeing 777F aircraft being deployed between the U.S. and Asia also benefit healthcare customers who need shorter transit times and later pickups.
A dedicated healthcare support team works hand-in-hand with companies to engineer ideal solutions to help healthcare customers stay competitive.
About FedEx Corp.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $43 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com .
You may also like:
April 29, 2016
Ministry of Commerce People’s Republic of China Unconditionally Approves FedEx Intended Acquisition of TNT Express
More like this in Newsroom