Safety Above All
Each business day, we deliver more than 10 million packages to customers in more than 220 countries and territories. We have more than 100,000 fleet vehicles, 650 planes that serve nearly 400 airports, and more than 400,000 team members at hundreds of locations around the world.
Ensuring the safety of the people in our global network — along with our customers — is a complex job. But it’s absolutely essential, and one that we take extremely seriously.
“Safety above all” has been a core FedEx belief since our inception. We integrate it into everything we do.
- Proactive, safety-focused workplace education forms a cornerstone for all of our training programs.
- Our Quality Action Teams continually search for root causes and propose safety procedure improvements to reduce preventable accidents.
- We set exacting safety standards and protocols, many of which exceed DOT or FAA requirements.
- We annually invest millions of dollars in equipment and technology to prevent injuries and accidents, both on the ground and in the air.
In short, we have high standards. To ensure we live up to them, our global network of safety professionals works closely with management and team members on methods to avoid injuries and accidents. They also collaborate with our service providers to ensure accountability for safety.
Some on-the-road safe workplace practices routinely covered by safety and driving teams include the following:
- Driving in adverse weather such as snow, ice, and extreme temperatures
- Hours of service regulations and compliance
- Distracted driving
- Vehicle inspections
- Driver wellness
- Hazardous materials safety
Safety personnel also monitor compliance with safety regulations, policies, and procedures, like those pertaining to the many special-materials shipments we deliver each day.
We also regularly acknowledge and reward individuals with consistent safety records. Each year, individual locations are recognized for outstanding safety performance. Accident-free driving is recognized through award programs that celebrate safe-driving milestones. We’re proud that thousands of our drivers have logged millions of miles without accidents during their careers.
We’re also proud that FedEx drivers regularly participate in the National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), a rigorous competition that tests the skills of highly qualified drivers with impeccable safety records. In 2015, five drivers representing FedEx operating companies were crowned NTDC National Champions in their respective driving classes. In addition, a FedEx Freight driver was named National Rookie of the Year.
These efforts have produced tangible results. But we understand we can’t rest when it comes to safe operating procedures. FedEx will continue to work to eliminate accidents and injuries across all of our operating companies.
You may also like:
December 11, 2015
More like this in blog