Safety Above All
Each business day, we deliver more than 10 million packages to customers in more than 220 countries and territories. We have more than 90,000 fleet vehicles, 650 planes, and 300,000 team members at hundreds of locations around the world.
Ensuring the safety of the people in our global network — along with the customers we serve — is absolutely essential.
“Safety Above All” is the principle that guides all actions at FedEx. We integrate it into everything we do.
- Proactive, safety-focused workplace education is a cornerstone of all of our training programs.
- We use Quality Action Teams to identify potential gaps and propose improvements to safety procedures.
- We set strict safety standards and protocols, many of which exceed DOT or FAA requirements.
- We annually invest millions of dollars in equipment and technology to prevent injuries and accidents, both on the ground and in the air.
To ensure we live up to our own standards, a global network of safety professionals works closely with management and team members on methods to avoid injuries and accidents, and with service providers to ensure accountability for safety. Some on-the-road safe workplace practices routinely covered by safety and driving teams include the following:
- Driving in adverse weather such as snow, ice, and extreme temperatures
- Hours of service regulations and compliance
- Distracted driving
- Vehicle inspections
- Driver wellness
- Hazardous materials safety
Safety personnel also monitor compliance with safety regulations, policies, and procedures, such as those regarding our many special materials shipments.
We are passionate about recognizing and rewarding individuals who consistently uphold safety each and every day. Each year, individual locations are recognized for outstanding safety performance. Accident-free driving is recognized through award programs that celebrate safe-driving milestones. In fact, thousands of our drivers have logged millions of miles without an accident over the span of their careers.
Our efforts have produced tangible results — preventable accidents and lost time due to injuries have both fallen in recent years. We also understand that safety requires an uncompromising commitment. The need for safe operating procedures never rests, and neither do we. FedEx will continue to work to eliminate accidents and injuries across all of our operating companies.
To learn more, read our Global Citizenship Report.
You may also like:
June 29, 2015
More like this in Newsroom