Charitable Giving Policy
FedEx is committed to actively supporting the communities we serve through strategic investment of our people, resources, and network. Our corporate contributions can be classified into the following categories:
- Financial Contributions: Cash contributions to U.S.-based 501(c)(3) organizations or Canadian-based organizations with Business Number (BN) registration
- In-Kind Contributions: Donated shipping to U.S.-based 501(c)(3)organizations or Canadian-based organizations with Business Number (BN) registration
FedEx will invest more than $200 million in more than 200 communities by 2020 to create opportunities and deliver positive change around the world through FedEx Cares, its new global giving platform. FedEx Cares will focus on the following five pillars of strategic investment:
- Delivering for Good
Using the company’s global network to deliver resources where they are needed most in times of disaster and for special shipments.
- Sustainable Transportation
Developing solutions that connect the world responsibly and resourcefully.
- Employment Pathways
Leveraging its global reach to provide pathways to success for teens and young adults in underserved populations.
- Road Safety
Applying its expertise and global reach in road safety to protect pedestrians and make roads safer.
- Global Entrepreneurship
Advancing women and minority-owned small businesses and continuing to empower the next generation of entrepreneurs, helping them access new markets and grow.
The majority of charitable activities we support are initiated by FedEx. While not strongly encouraged, if an organization chooses to submit an unsolicited request, please note the following guidelines outlined below.
FedEx only considers requests from U.S.-based organizations that have been designated by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) and Canadian-based organizations with Business Number registration. Organizations must be in good financial and public standing, show evidence of competent management, have low administrative/fundraising expense ratios and manage nondiscriminatory programs benefiting broad segments of the community.
To be considered for support, requests should fit within our funding priorities and show evidence of active engagement by one or more FedEx team members. Priority is assigned to requests that fall within the five core pillars. Please be advised that the majority of our charitable shipments are related to emergency and disaster relief. We grant only a limited number of other shipping requests that meet our eligibility requirements.
Corporate funds are generally not available for the following:
- Additional funds to organizations already under a multi-year commitment
- Athletic groups or activities, including charity- benefit sporting events and youth sports teams
- Beauty contest candidates
- Complimentary shipping of items sold through fundraisers
- Endowments or memorials
- FedEx promotional merchandise
- Individual needs, including scholarships
- In-kind printing requests
- Labor or political organizations
- Social organizations, such as fraternities and sororities
- Personal fundraising initiatives
- Travel funds for tours, expeditions or trips
- Mission trips
- Membership dues
For U.S.-Based Organizations
FedEx only accepts applications and proposals online. Applicants are first asked to complete a brief eligibility quiz to determine fit with our guidelines. At this stage applicants will be asked to enter the organization’s Tax Exempt Number, which will be automatically validated against the IRS database.
If eligible to proceed to the next step, applicants will be directed to an online application and required to include the following information:
- Brief description of your organization, including goals and population served
- Overview of the proposed use of FedEx assistance
- Explanation of why assistance is needed
- Description of the area and population served by this particular project
- Detailed information on your organization’s anticipated sources of revenue and expenses
- Detailed information on how you will measure the project’s success
- Detailed timeline
To apply online:
- You will be required to enter your organization’s nonprofit tax identification number to begin the online application process
- Click here to enter your organization 501c3, tax id number and begin the application process
- If the organization has the appropriate tax id number, you will then be directed to the FedEx Eligibility Quiz
- If eligible, the applicant will be directed to the online application
- Follow the online instruction and enter all the information needed
- Please allow at least 30 days for a response
For Non U.S.-Based Organizations
All international charitable requests (cash and in-kind shipping) must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The regional Citizenship contact/council will provide guidance to the requester through the approval process, as needed.
You may also like:
June 11, 2015
More like this in blog