Start of School Means Commute Changes
The other day I went back-to-school-shopping with my seven and eight year-olds. While I think they were happy to get cool new sneakers, their enthusiasm faded as we moved towards school supplies like folders, paper, pens and pencils. It didn’t take long before I could see the look of “Can we just get this over with?” written on their faces.
School is starting soon, and it’s time for all of us to think about what that means for our morning commute. I know I have two school zones I have to go through in order to get to work. So I’m already planning on adding a few extra minutes to my drive time. But as I thought about it, I realized, there is a lot more I need to think about if I am going to arrive safely at work on time.
- For example, children looking to catch their bus may suddenly dart across the street to do so. I have to look out for them as I drive through my neighborhood.
- While laws vary by state, generally if a bus has its stop sign extended both lanes of traffic must stop.
- With summer vacation over, there are more cars on the road. Allow extra time in my commute for all the extra cars that are on the road.
- If your office is near a school or you drive to catch public transportation, there may be fewer parking spaces available because of the increase in students. Again, allow extra time to find a parking space so you can arrive to your destination on time.
- Do not think of time in your car as a chance to catch up on the things you didn’t get a chance to do. I once saw a lady driving down the highway holding a cell phone with her neck while sipping coffee with one hand and applying make-up with the other. I guess she was steering with her knee! Don’t be “that lady!” That kind of driving is dangerous for everyone around you. We all want to arrive safely at school and work!
Thank you for joining with us to ensure the new school year begins safely for all students. We wish each of them a happy, successful and safe school year!
You may also like:
May 9, 2018
More like this in blog