2013 Holiday Season: 60 Percent of Canadians Will Shop Online
November 14, 2013
Media Relations, FedEx Express Canada
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MISSISSAUGA, Ontario, November 14, 2013—Contending with crowded parking lots and waiting in line at check-out counters no longer has to be part of anyone’s holiday tradition, as Canadian consumers are set to break online shopping records this holiday season. According to a recent poll, a vast majority of Canadians will opt for the convenience and comfort of “click-buy-and-ship” from anywhere.
The second annual Angus Reid survey commissioned by Federal Express Canada Ltd. (FedEx Express Canada), a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. (NYSE:FDX) and one of the world’s largest express transportation companies, reveals that six out of ten Canadian holiday shoppers will turn to e-commerce this holiday season to take advantage of advanced online shopping technology and fast shipping. Last year, only 48% of survey respondents indicated that they planned to shop online for the holidays.
Much like last year’s results, this year’s survey revealed a number of interesting findings, including:
• A clear majority of residents in all provinces of Canada will shop online this year. Consumers in Atlantic Canada (68%), Alberta (66%), and Saskatchewan (64%) are among the most likely to shop online this year.
• Attitudes in Manitoba and Quebec towards online shopping appear to be changing. This year, 57% of Manitobans and 52% of Quebec residents stated they will shop online for the holidays compare to only 38% and 45% respectively in 2012.
• 61% of respondents in Ontario and 59% in British Columbia stated they will shop online this year.
• Women are more likely to use a virtual shopping cart this year. 60% of women and 59% of men will shop online for the holidays, compared to 53% of women and 57% of men last year.
• Age is no barrier to online shopping. 62% of survey respondents aged 35-54 years and 41% of those aged 55 years and older indicated they will do holiday shopping online this year, up 4% and 5% respectively. Consumers aged 18 to 34 years will continue lead all age demographics, with 76% intending to shop online this year—up 3%.
• Significantly more shoppers across all income brackets intend to shop online this year. 64% of people with incomes higher than $100,000 will shop online this year (57% in 2012), as will 65% of those earning $50,000-$99,999 (52% in 2012) and 65% of people earning less than $50,000 (38% in 2012).
“The chaos of Black Friday holiday shopping is quickly being replaced with the calming convenience of Cyber Monday,” said Lisa Lisson, president of FedEx Express Canada. “Canadians are clearly opting to avoid the malls and shop online for amazing holiday deals and the convenience of delivery to the office or home. Online shopping is one way to add a relaxing experience to an occasionally stressful holiday season.”
FedEx Corp. announced that it will have its busiest day in company history on December 2, 2013, when 22 million packages are expected to be delivered around the world. It is the first time ever that the busiest day of the year for FedEx is expected to fall on Cyber Monday.
About The FedEx Express Canada Online Shopping Survey
From September 26th to September 27th 2013 an online survey was conducted among 1,503 randomly selected Canadian adults who are Angus Reid Forum panelists. The margin of error—which measures sampling variability—is +/- 2.5%, 19 times out of 20. The results have been statistically weighted according to education, age, gender and region (and in Quebec, language) census data to ensure a sample representative of the entire adult population of Canada. Discrepancies in or between totals are due to rounding.
About FedEx Express
FedEx Express is one of the world’s largest express transportation companies, providing fast and reliable delivery to more than 220 countries and territories. FedEx Express uses a global air and ground network to speed delivery of time-sensitive shipments, by a definite time and date with a money-back guarantee.
About FedEx Corp.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.
# # #
You may also like:
September 19, 2018
More like this in Newsroom