Eight FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Idaho Truck Driving Championship
MERIDIAN, Idaho – June 18, 2014 – Eight drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2014 Idaho State Truck Driving Championship in Meridian on June 13-14.
- Daryl Barnett, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Boise, attained his third state title with a win in the Straight Truck class. He also took home the Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- Mike Perkins, of Silvester Distributing, Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Boise, captured his second consecutive Step Van title.
- FedEx Freight driver Curt Smith (Boise) earned his second straight title in the Tank Truck class.
- Fellow Boise-based driver for FedEx Freight, Scott Beal, finished first in the Twins class.
- James Neavear, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Pocatello, posted first in the 4-Axle class.
- Ryan Hansen, of Silvester Distributing, Inc., and Jerry Healy, of Healy Incorporated, both domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Boise, completed the sweep of the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- FedEx Freight driver Mike Shipley (Pocatello) earned third-place in the 3-Axle class.
Barnett, Perkins, Smith, Beal and Neavear will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2014 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 12-16 in Pittsburgh. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our team is dedicated to staying safe on the road,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The accomplishment of these participants at the Idaho state championship demonstrates the professionalism and dedication to safety found throughout the entire FedEx organization.”
The Idaho State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2013, 132 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Three FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Nine other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $46 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.
You may also like:
May 30, 2018
More like this in blog