Eight FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Kentucky Truck Driving Championship
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – May 22, 2014 – Eight drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2014 Kentucky State Truck Driving Championship in Louisville on May 16-17.
- Jesse Benkert, of Seven Springs Enterprises, Inc. domiciled at the FedEx Ground station in Louisville, captured his second state title with a win in the Step Van class.
- FedEx Express driver Dwayne Heaverin (Hebron) earned first place in the 3-Axle class for his first state title.
- Wayne Crowder, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Louisville, finished second in the Tank Truck class. Crowder won the Flatbed title at the 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC).
- James Hauenstein, of Hauenstein Trucking Incorporated domiciled at the FedEx Ground hub in Northern Kentucky, finished second in the 5-Axle Sleeper class. He was also named the Rookie of the Year.
- FedEx Express driver Mark Campbell (Hebron) placed second in the Straight Truck class.
- Erica Starks, of JC Enterprises, Inc. domiciled at the FedEx Ground station in Northern Kentucky, and Shane Smith, a driver for FedEx Express based in Louisville, completed the sweep of the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- Steven Williams, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Louisville, finished third in the 3-Axle class.
Additionally, FedEx received the third-place Team Trophy.
Benkert and Heaverin will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2014 NTDC, known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 12-16 in Pittsburgh. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our team is dedicated to staying safe on the road,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The accomplishment of these participants at the Kentucky state championship demonstrates the professionalism and dedication to safety found throughout the entire FedEx organization.”
The Kentucky State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2013, 132 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Three FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Nine other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.
You may also like:
February 6, 2018
More like this in blog