Eight FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Massachusetts Truck Driving Championship
CHICOPEE, Mass. – May 21, 2013 – Eight drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 Massachusetts State Truck Driving Championship in Chicopee on May 19.
- Roland Bolduc, the current National 3-Axle Champion, earned his eleventh state title with a win in the 3-Axle class. He also took home the Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes. Bolduc is a driver for FedEx Express based in Windsor, Conn.
- FedEx Express driver Bob Ledoux (Raynham) earned his third state title with a win in the Step Van class and also won the Best Pre-Trip Inspection award for that class. Ledoux finished third in the same class at the 2011 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC).
- Mike Birchall, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Boston, posted first place in the 4-Axle class. He also won the Best Pre-Trip Inspection award for that class.
- Avon-based FedEx Freight driver Dan Hebert captured the top spot in the Twins class.
- FedEx Express drivers Ken Lincoln (Framingham) and Tom Reinold (West Boylston) finished second in the 5-Axle and Step Van classes, respectively.
- Kevin Sears, a driver for WFM Trucking, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Boston, finished third in the Step Van class. He also earned the Rookie of the Year award.
- FedEx Freight driver Tom Foley (Avon) finished third in the Twins class.
Bolduc, Ledoux, Birchall and Hebert will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 NTDC, known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Massachusetts state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The Massachusetts State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
November 5, 2018
More like this in Newsroom