Eight FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the New Jersey Truck Driving Championship
SOMERSET, N.J. – June 25, 2013 – Eight drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 New Jersey State Truck Driving Championship in Somerset on June 21-22.
- Artur Lesniowski, owner of Artur’s Express Corp. based at the FedEx Ground station in Moonachie, captured his second consecutive first-place trophy in the Step Van class.
- Gabriel Benet, a driver for FedEx Freight based in South Brunswick, earned the top spot in the 4-Axle class. He also was awarded the Rookie of the Year honor.
- South Brunswick-based FedEx Freight drivers Janusz Trojanowski, Paul Rivers and Lester Beben finished second in the Twins, Flatbed and 5-Axle classes, respectively.
- Bart Masciulli (FedEx Express, Mount Laurel) and Carlos Chavarriaga (FedEx Freight, South Newark) completed the sweep in the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- FedEx Freight driver Ralph Guerra (Wayne) placed third in the 5-Axle Sleeper class.
Lesniowski and Benet will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the New Jersey state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The New Jersey State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
October 14, 2017
More like this in blog
August 16, 2017
More like this in Newsroom