Eight FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Ohio Truck Driving Championship
CLEVELAND, Ohio – June 9, 2014 – Eight drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2014 Ohio State Truck Driving Championship in Cleveland on June 6-7.
- Scott Woodrome, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Dayton, captured his ninth consecutive Ohio state title with a win in the 5-Axle class.
- Andrew Tuck, of Addison Transportation Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Dayton, won the Step Van class for his second state title.
- FedEx Freight driver Steve Brand (Dayton) earned his first state title with a win in the 3-Axle class.
- Randy Broderick, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Mansfield, and Scott Newcome, of Danstud Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Cleveland, finished second in the Flatbed and Straight Truck classes, respectively.
- Matthew Chase, of Ireland Express Corporation domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Mansfield, and Matthew Hall, of SKH Management Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Cleveland, completed the sweep of the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- Rob Keaton, of Dragonfly Transit Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground hub in Columbus, took home the third-place trophy in the 5-Axle Sleeper class.
Woodrome, Tuck and Brand will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2014 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 12-16 in Pittsburgh. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our team is dedicated to staying safe on the road,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The accomplishment of these participants at the Ohio state championship demonstrates the professionalism and dedication to safety found throughout the entire FedEx organization.”
The Ohio State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2013, 132 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Three FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Nine other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.
You may also like:
December 14, 2017
More like this in blog