Eight FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Rhode Island Truck Driving Championship
CRANSTON, R.I. – May 6, 2013 – Eight drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 Rhode Island State Truck Driving Championship in Cranston on May 4.
- Nick Sionni, a Warwick-based driver for FedEx Express, captured his second consecutive state title with a win in the Step Van Class. He also took home the Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- Karen Tierney, a driver for FedEx Express based in Providence, won her sixth state title after earning the 3-Axle trophy.
- David Lumpkin, also a driver for FedEx Express based in Warwick, won his first state title in the Straight Truck class.
- Linell Greaney and Brian Martin finished second and third, respectively, in the Step Van class. Both are FedEx Express drivers based in Warwick.
- FedEx Express drivers Kevin Sirois (Providence) and John Quick (Warwick) finished third in the 4-Axle and Straight Truck classes, respectively. Quick was also named Rookie of the Year.
- James Bergin, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Providence, finished third in the 3-Axle class.
Sionni, Tierney and Lumpkin will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Rhode Island state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The Rhode Island State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
September 15, 2017
FedEx, Direct Relief, Heart to Heart Int’l, Miami HEAT and Golden State Warriors Team Up For Hurricane Irma Critical Relief
More like this in Newsroom
July 24, 2017
More like this in blog