Eleven FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Ohio Truck Driving Championship
CLEVELAND – May 6, 2013 – Eleven drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 Ohio State Truck Driving Championship in Cleveland on May 3-4.
- Scott Woodrome, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Dayton, captured his eighth consecutive Ohio state title with a win in the 5-Axle Sleeper class.
- James McNulty Jr., a driver for FedEx Express based in Cincinnati, won the Step Van class.
- FedEx Freight driver Marton Birkas (Columbus) took home the second-place trophy in the 3-Axle class.
- Lou Gaspar, a driver for FedEx Express based in Cleveland, captured the second-place spot in the Straight Truck class.
- Ryan Darling, a driver for BLV Transport, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground hub in Columbus, finished second in the Tank Truck class.
- Matt Chase, a driver for Ireland Express Corp. based at the FedEx Home Delivery station in Mansfield, and Cory Kirkpatrick, a driver for T&D Transport, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Youngstown, finished second and third, respectively, in the Step Van class.
- Akron-based FedEx Freight drivers Tim Ahlers and Larry Lorenz placed third in the Tank Truck and 3-Axle classes, respectively. Lorenz also took home the Rookie of the Year award.
- Russell Ortman (Cleveland) and Mark Cox (Columbus) finished third in the 4-Axle and Flatbed classes, respectively. Both drive for FedEx Freight.
Woodrome and McNulty will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Ohio state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The Ohio State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
September 19, 2018
More like this in Newsroom
May 14, 2018
More like this in Newsroom