Eleven FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Wisconsin Truck Driving Championship
APPLETON, Wis. – June 11, 2012 – Eleven drivers representing FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2012 Wisconsin State Truck Driving Championship in Appleton on June 8-9.
- Brent Glasenapp, a driver for FedEx Express based in Milwaukee, earned his fifth state title with a win in the Straight Truck class. He also won the Best Pre-Trip Inspection award.
- Milwaukee-based FedEx Express driver Jim Burmesch captured his fourth straight state title with a win in the 4-Axle class.
- FedEx Freight driver Gary Reimer (Mauston) won the 3-Axle class for his third state title.
- Madison-based FedEx Freight driver Jason Hillier earned his second state title with a win in the Tank Truck class.
- Tom Schroeder, owner of Sunshine Transportation, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Madison, won his first title with his first-place finish in the Step Van class.
- FedEx Express drivers Scott Parks (Milwaukee) and Dennis Love (La Crosse), posted second-place finishes in the 4-Axle and Step Van classes, respectively.
- FedEx Freight drivers Duane Staveness (Mauston) and Roland Bates (Oshkosh) posted second- and third-place finishes, respectively, in the Twins class.
- Roland Langer, a Mauston-based driver for FedEx Freight, finished third in the Straight Truck class.
- Ben Reinke, owner of Team Reineke, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Green Bay, finished third in the Step Van class.
Glasenapp, Burmesch, Reimer, Hillier and Schroeder will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2012 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 7-11 in Minneapolis, Minn. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“The entire team of drivers representing FedEx is dedicated to safety. It is an integral part of everything they do,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Wisconsin championship is a testament to their commitment to safety excellence.”
The Wisconsin State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving skills test, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2011, 115 driving professionals from 45 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state’s competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Champion title in the Step Van class. In addition, FedEx drivers earned nine additional top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
August 2, 2019
More like this in Newsroom