FedEx Pledges $1 Million to Support Japan Disaster Relief
MEMPHIS, Tenn., March 22, 2011—FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) has committed $1 million in cash and in-kind transportation to support earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan. Long-standing relationships with humanitarian organizations will allow FedEx to lend transportation and logistics expertise to support several agencies in their vital relief work following the devastation.
FedEx will provide monetary or in-kind transportation support to the following relief organizations to assist with their relief efforts in Japan: The American Red Cross, The Salvation Army, Heart to Heart International, Direct Relief International, Water Missions International, The United Way Worldwide, World Vision and Project Hope. This support will allow these agencies to provide emergency and humanitarian relief to the earthquake and tsunami victims, including food, shelter, medical supplies, water purification units, blankets and hygiene kits.
“The FedEx team is incredibly saddened by the loss of life and destruction caused by the earthquake in Japan and we extend our deepest sympathy to the Japanese people,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO of FedEx Corp. “FedEx will continue to work closely with several humanitarian and disaster relief organizations in coordinating logistics, assessing needs and providing support where we are best able to help in Japan.”
FedEx has a long history of using its global network to deliver important and life-saving aid and support to lessen the pain and loss experienced by victims of natural disasters. Recent relief efforts include:
- Donating $1.8 million, including the transportation of more than one million pounds of critical supplies, to assist those affected by the earthquake in Haiti in January 2010.
- Donating more than $300,000 in cash and $500,000 of in-kind shipping to support relief efforts in China and Myanmar, including a FedEx MD-11 charter flight with more than 250 pallets of critically needed medical supplies.
- Donating pilots’ time and aircraft to deliver 77 tons of generators, clothing, blankets, tents, and tools to the victims of a Peruvian earthquake.
- Providing in-kind shipping for more than two million pounds of relief aid to those affected throughout the Gulf Coast region during the 2005 hurricane season.
- Working with more than 20 government and relief organizations to deliver more than one million pounds of supplies following the tsunamis in Southeast Asia.
- Transporting relief supplies for victims of earthquakes in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and India.
- Providing $200,000 cash in support of small business disaster preparedness initiatives with the American Red Cross
To learn more about FedEx disaster relief efforts, visit news.fedex.com or about.fedex.com.
About FedEx Corp.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $38 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world’s most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 290,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.
You may also like:
January 21, 2020
More like this in Newsroom
January 16, 2020
More like this in Newsroom