FedEx, Safe Kids Team Up to Launch “Walk This Way” in Zhengzhou
ZHENGZHOU, December 9, 2011 – FedEx Express (FedEx), a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) and one of the world’s largest express transportation companies, today joined hands with Safe Kids Worldwide, a global non-profit organization, to launch the Safe Kids Walk This Way program in Zhengzhou at Chuangxin Road Primary School.
Following its successful launch in major Chinese cities including
FedEx and Safe Kids first created the Walk This Way program in the
At the launch event, students from
At the launch event, FedEx volunteers played road safety games with the students and practiced safe walking exercises, arming students with basic pedestrian behavior and road safety knowledge.
According to a report released by Safe Kids Worldwide, road accidents have become the second largest killer of children aged 14 and under in China. An average of more than 30,000 children are injured or killed in traffic accidents every year. Of these, nearly 44 percent are child pedestrians. Consequently, enhancing child pedestrian safety education and raising awareness of road safety is urgently needed.
The rapid expansion of
A Safe Kids survey of nearly 500 students in
· Almost 45% of the students walk alone to school every day.
· Only 7% of the students believe they know how to cross the street safely.
· Nearly 70% of the students felt the crossroad is the most dangerous area for walking.
· The students noted there are no traffic lights and no zebra crossing at the crossroads and the vehicles do not slow down.
· The major safety problem is the vehicles traffic jam at the school gate.
· The students need to improve their road safety knowledge. Besides traffic lights, they need to recognize more traffic signs and vehicle lights, and understand how to cross the street safely.
The study clearly identifies the key areas needed for road safety education. In addition, the study points out that measures should be taken to improve the safety of streets while also educating drivers and students on road safety.
About FedEx Express
FedEx Express is one of the world’s largest express transportation companies, providing fast and reliable delivery to more than 220 countries and territories. FedEx Express uses a global air-and-ground network to speed delivery of time-sensitive shipments, by a definite time and date with a money-back guarantee*.
* Subject to relevant terms and conditions
About Safe Kids Worldwide
Safe Kids Worldwide is a global network of nonprofit organization, whose mission is to prevent unintentional childhood injury, a leading killer of children ages 14 and under. Based on the
You may also like:
June 17, 2019
FedEx Agreement with Dollar General Increases Convenient Access to FedEx Drop-off and Pickup Services
More like this in blog
February 11, 2019
Determined and Extremely Capable: FedEx Captain Tahirah Lamont Brown is Poised to Set an Example Every Day
More like this in blog