FedEx Survey: Mother’s Day Likely to Bring Sales Bump for Small Businesses
MEMPHIS, Tenn., May 10, 2012—Shoppers are committed to continuing the “Shop Small” trend of the winter holiday season, with nearly two-thirds of all U.S. shoppers looking to local and online small businesses for that perfect Mother’s Day gift this month, according to a survey commissioned by FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX). And with Mother’s Day spending expected to reach $18.6 billion this year according to the National Retail Federation—up 14 percent from 2011—the holiday is officially the biggest shopping period behind Christmas and a major sales opportunity for small businesses nationwide.
The recent FedEx survey of 1,000 U.S. consumers over the age of 18 found that 84 percent believe gifts available at boutiques and small retailers are more unique and personal. Nearly two-thirds of those polled (64 percent) believe the gifts available at small and boutique retailers are better quality.
“Whether consumers are shopping online or on Main Street, the trends for this Mother’s Day are very good for small businesses,” said T. Michael Glenn, executive vice president of Market Development at FedEx. “As our customers become busier this week, FedEx team members are ready with the solutions that make it simple to meet increased inventory demands and the looming May 11 shipping deadline for Mother’s Day delivery.”
One such small business customer is Carousel Cakes, a New York based confectioner that shot to fame when it was profiled in O Magazine and is home to Oprah’s favorite Red Velvet Cake. To move their sugary confections such as cakes, pies and cupcakes around the country in time for Mother’s Day, FedEx provides a number of shipping services to make sure that the orders make it on time.
“Mother’s Day is a major holiday for Carousel Cakes and we are expecting a strong peak in orders,” said Nancy Finkelstein, founder of the company. “We provide a very personal service and our customers like that we provide such unique cakes and baked goods for a one-of-a-kind gift. During the holidays and beyond, it is crucial for our business that we make our deliveries on time and keep our customers happy.”
FedEx Express is teaming up with ProFlowers (www.proflowers.com) and Shari’s Berries (www.berries.com) to deliver flowers and gifts on Mother’s Day itself, Sunday, May 13. This is the third year last-minute shoppers can order from a special collection of fresh flowers and gifts at ProFlowers.com as late as noon p.m. CDT on Saturday, May 12, for delivery to locations on Sunday, May 13.
Smart Solutions for Small Businesses and Everyday Shippers
On time deliveries are essential for both small businesses and their customers who need those gifts in-hand by May 13. FedEx has a range of shipping solutions to help customers get it to Mom in time for the big day, whether they’re planners ready to ship today or last minute shoppers in need of help on Friday, May 11.
• FedEx Home Delivery serves virtually 100 percent of the continental U.S. population in 1 – 5 business days and offers three convenient delivery options:
– Appointment Delivery: delivery within a two-hour window on a specified date
– Date-Certain Delivery: delivery on a specified date.
– Evening Delivery: all packages delivered between 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
• FedEx Express can get gifts to the door on time when shipped on Friday, May 11—the last day to ship for Mother’s Day delivery with a money-back guarantee.
• When so much time has been spent selecting the perfect gift, shoppers want to know it will arrive in perfect condition. Pack & Ship team members at FedEx Office stores are specially trained and have the tools to get gifts perfectly boxed up and shipped out. Prices start at $4.99.
• FedEx also offers a free solution for those gift givers who don’t want to miss a delivery. Hold at FedEx Location allows shippers or recipients to request that a package be held securely at one of more than 2,400 FedEx locations nationwide until they’re ready to pick it up.
About the Survey
FedEx, in conjunction with Ketchum Global Research & Analytics, worked with ORCInternational to conduct a telephone omnibus survey of 1,000 Americans aged 18 years and older. The interviews were conducted in April 2012.
About FedEx Corp.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $42 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world’s most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.
You may also like:
July 19, 2018
More like this in Newsroom
November 1, 2017
More like this in Newsroom