FedEx Team Members Deliver Foodbank Necessities
December 5, 2013
LONDON, 4 December 2013 – Team members at FedEx collected around 1,400 kilograms of food for foodbanks operated by the Trussell Trust across the UK as part of the annual FedEx Cares initiative. Since September, more than 21 FedEx locations participated in the collection. The total amount of food donated nationally is more than enough to fill a FedEx courier van, providing a total of 2,670 meals for those living below the poverty line. All the items collected were then delivered by FedEx to the local foodbanks.
The activity is part of the FedEx Cares initiative in which team members across the world give back to their communities. As part of this program, FedEx supports a number of charitable organizations in the UK and around the world.
“I am really proud of our FedEx team members. They are always keen to lend a hand, especially when it’s for something as valuable as the Trussell Trust foodbanks,” said Trevor Hoyle, managing director of Ground Operations UK & Ireland. “The FedEx Cares initiative is testament to the generous spirit of our team who believe giving back to the community both individually and as an organisation is the right thing to do.”
“We are extremely grateful for the support given by FedEx, especially amid the rising living costs in the UK, ’’ said Mike Partridge, Corporate Partnerships manager at The Trussell Trust. “These donations will help stop people going hungry in their own homes. Today, one in five UK mothers are having to skip meals for their children to make ends meet and more families are struggling than ever.”
Over the last six months the Trussell Trust has seen the demand for foodbanks triple. Between April and September this year, its network of over 400 UK foodbanks provided three days emergency supplies to 356,000 people in crisis.
For more information about FedEx Cares Week and the FedEx commitment to volunteerism and the communities it serves, please visit fedexcares.com.
About FedEx Express
FedEx Express is the world’s largest express transportation company, providing fast and reliable delivery to more than 220 countries and territories. FedEx Express uses a global air and ground network to speed delivery of time-sensitive shipments, by a definite time and date with a money-back guarantee.
About FedEx Corp.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com
About Trussell Trust
- The Trussell Trust’s award-winning UK foodbank network partners with churches and communities to provide three days nutritionally-balanced emergency food to people in crisis.
- Over 90% food given out by foodbanks is donated by the public. Every foodbank recipient is referred by a frontline care professional such as a doctor, social worker or schools liaison officer.
- Three new Trussell Trust foodbanks are launching every week. The Trussell Trust has launched 400 foodbanks nationwide.
- Over 350,000 people received three days’ emergency food from a Trussell Trust foodbank in between April and September 2013, more than the total helped in the whole of the 2012-13 financial year.
- Less than 5% of foodbank clients are homeless, many are working families struggling to make ends meet.
- For more information on the work carried out by Trussell Trust foodbanks visit: www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-projects
# # #
You may also like:
October 24, 2019
More like this in Newsroom