Nine FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Connecticut Truck Driving Championship
WINDSOR LOCKS, Conn. – June 11, 2013 – Nine drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 [State name] State Truck Driving Championship in Windsor Locks on June 8.
- Tom Griffin, a FedEx Freight driver based in New Haven, attained his fifth state title – this one in the 4-Axle class. He also took home the Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- Paul Brandon, also a New Haven-based driver for FedEx Freight, captured his fifth straight state title with a win in the Flatbed class. He also earned the Best Pre-Trip Inspection award.
- Karen Roderick, a driver for Armadillo Transportation Services, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Hartford, won the Straight Truck class for her fourth state title.
- FedEx Express driver Glen Cooke (East Hartford) earned first place in the Step Van class.
- Anthony Harris, a driver for FedEx Freight based in New Haven, won the Twins class.
- FedEx Freight driver Jose Knipping (New Haven) finished second in the 3-Axle class. He also earned the Rookie of the Year award.
- FedEx Express drivers Rodolfo Bernardo (East Hartford) and Drew Martin (Stamford) finished second in the Step Van and Straight Truck classes, respectively.
- David Bryant (FedEx Freight, Hartford) and Sue Gaffney (FedEx Express, Winsor) placed third in the 5-Axle and Twins classes, respectively.
Additionally, FedEx Freight and FedEx Express were awarded the first- and third-place Team trophies, respectively.
Griffin, Brandon, Roderick, Cooke and Harris will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Connecticut state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The Connecticut State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
April 12, 2018
More like this in Newsroom
August 7, 2017
More like this in blog