Nine FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Delaware Truck Driving Championship
HARRINGTON, Del. – May 14, 2012 – Nine drivers representing FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2012 Delaware State Truck Driving Championship in Harrington on May 12.
- FedEx Freight driver Rusty Pederson, based in Wilmington, captured his third state title, this year in the 3-axle class. He also took home the Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- Fellow FedEx Freight driver Billy Tuell earned his first state title in the Twins class. Billy is also domiciled in Wilmington.
- J.R. Argo, a driver for Travis Boardman Inc. domiciled at the FedEx Ground station in Salisbury, Md., captured first place in the Step Van class for the second year in a row.
- FedEx Freight drivers Keith Moreno (New Castle) and Louis Lockard (Wilmington) posted second-place finishes in Twins and 4-Axle classes, respectively.
- Lori McKamey, a driver for Q&D Trucking and Josh Lineweaver, a driver for Travis Boardman Inc., finished second in the Step Van and Straight Truck classes, respectively. Both are domiciled at the FedEx Ground station in Salisbury, Md.
§ Sweeping the Step Van class with a third-place finish was Joe LeBlanc. Joe is a driver for Desperado Trucking, domiciled at the FedEx Ground station in Salisbury, Md.
- Michael Conaway, owner of D&C Courier, Inc. domiciled at the FedEx Ground station in New Castle, finished third in the Straight Truck class.
Pederson, Tuell and Argo will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2012 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 7-11 in Minneapolis, Minn. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“The entire team of drivers representing FedEx is dedicated to safety. It is an integral part of everything they do,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Delaware championship is a testament to their commitment to safety excellence.”
The Delaware State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving skills test, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2011, 115 driving professionals from 45 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state’s competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Champion title in the Step Van class. In addition, FedEx drivers earned nine additional top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
June 3, 2018
More like this in Newsroom