Nine FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Nevada Truck Driving Championship
LAS VEGAS – April 8, 2014 – Nine drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2014 Nevada State Truck Driving Championship in Las Vegas on April 5.
- Gragg Wilson, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Reno, captured his eleventh state title with a win in the 3-Axle class. He also earned the Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- Bob Fini, a driver for FedEx Express based in Las Vegas, won his second state title in three years in the Straight Truck class.
- FedEx Express driver Patrick Nerger earned his second state title in the 5-Axle class. Nerger is based in Reno.
- Scott Parks, a driver for FedEx Express based in Las Vegas, finished first in the 4-Axle class.
- FedEx Freight driver Eric Flick (Reno) captured his first state title with a win in the Twins class.
- Jose Razo, a driver for Hernandez Corp. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Las Vegas, won the Step Van class.
- Art Corral Jr., a driver for ZMD Logistics Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Las Vegas, finished second in the Straight Truck class.
- Greg Combs (FedEx Express, Las Vegas) finished third in the Step Van class.
- FedEx Freight drivers Bruce Wilson (Reno) and Tim Duren (South Las Vegas) finished third in the Tank Truck and 3-Axle classes, respectively.
G. Wilson, Fini, Nerger Flick and Razo will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2014 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 12-16 in Pittsburgh. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our team is dedicated to staying safe on the road,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The accomplishment of these participants at the Nevada state championship demonstrates the professionalism and dedication to safety found throughout the entire FedEx organization.”
The Nevada State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2013, 132 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Three FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Nine other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit about.van.fedex.com/newsroom.
You may also like:
March 20, 2018
More like this in Newsroom