Nine FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Rhode Island Truck Driving Championship
CRANSTON, R.I. – May 22, 2014 – Nine drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2014 Rhode Island State Truck Driving Championship in Cranston on May 17.
- Keith Towne, a driver for FedEx Express based in Warwick, won his third state title after finishing first in the Step Van class.
- David Lumpkin, also a driver for FedEx Express based in Warwick, won his second consecutive state title in the Straight Truck class.
- Karen Tierney and Justine Faucher finished second in the 3-Axle and 5-Axle classes respectively. Both are FedEx Express drivers based in Warwick.
- FedEx Express driver John Glendinning (Warwick) finished second in the Straight Truck class. He was also named Rookie of the Year.
- Warwick-based drivers Thomas Burke and Chris Roque completed the sweep in the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively. Both are drivers for FedEx Express.
- FedEx Freight drivers Steve Migneault and Mike Such finished second and third, respectively, in the Twins class. Both are based in Providence.
Towne and Lumpkin will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2014 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 12-16 in Pittsburgh. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our team is dedicated to staying safe on the road,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The accomplishment of these participants at the Rhode Island state championship demonstrates the professionalism and dedication to safety found throughout the entire FedEx organization.”
The Rhode Island State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2013, 132 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Three FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Nine other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit about.van.fedex.com/newsroom.
You may also like:
September 9, 2019
FedEx, Direct Relief, International Medical Corps, Team Rubicon & Water Mission Team Up to Deliver Supplies and Aid to the Bahamas
More like this in Newsroom
February 11, 2019
Determined and Extremely Capable: FedEx Captain Tahirah Lamont Brown is Poised to Set an Example Every Day
More like this in blog