Nine FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the South Carolina Truck Driving Championship
WEST COLUMBIA, S.C. – April 23, 2013 – Nine drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 South Carolina State Truck Driving Championship in West Columbia on April 19-20.
- FedEx Freight driver Ray Shelton, based in Greenville, topped the competition in the Tank Truck class for his third consecutive state title. Overall, this marks his eleventh state title.
- Walter “Dubby” Freeman, owner of Dubby C. Freeman, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Florence, earned first place in the Straight Truck class for his third consecutive state title.
- Brian McFaden, owner of Terrapin Transport, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Columbia, won the Step Van class.
- Tommy Winston, a Greenville-based driver for FedEx Freight, placed second in the Flatbed class. He also earned the Highest Written Exam Score. Tommy finished the 2011 season with a second-place finish in the Tank Truck class at the National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC).
- Fellow FedEx Freight driver Jerry Avossa (Charlotte, N.C.) finished second in the 4-Axle class.
- Chris Turnipseed, owner of T&S Ground Services, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Columbia, finished second in the Step Van class.
- FedEx Freight driver Martin Pringle (Greenville) and Jeremiah Henderson, a driver for Night Flyte, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Columbia, placed second and third, respectively, in the 3-Axle class.
- Chip Taylor, owner of J.L. Taylor, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Columbia, finished third in the Straight Truck class.
Shelton, Freeman and McFaden will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 NTDC, known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the South Carolina state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The South Carolina State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
March 19, 2015
More like this in blog