Online Shopping Boosts Record FedEx Holiday Volume
New B757 Added to Canadian Fleet to Enhance Service from Coast to Coast
MISSISSAUGA, Ont., Oct. 26, 2015 –FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) expects to deliver a record 317 million packages during its peak shipping season which begins on Black Friday (Nov. 27) and ends on Christmas Eve. The 12.4 percent year-over-year increase will be driven in part by online shopping for the holidays.
Peak projections are included in FedEx earnings guidance for FY15.
The season, which is one day longer than last year, is expected to be bolstered by three volume spikes, including Cyber Monday (Nov. 30) and the first two Mondays in December, during which the company expects to move more than double its average daily volume. This is partially attributed to anticipated online shopping over the preceding weekends.
“Canadians are continuing to turn to online solutions to help ease the pressures of a hectic holiday season and they are choosing FedEx to help ensure that their holiday packages are delivered with care and arrive on-time,” said Lisa Lisson, president of FedEx Express Canada. “All of our employees, from coast to coast, are committed to delivering dependability and reliability to Canadians this holiday season. We are eager to help Canada make these holidays memorable.”
According to e-Marketer[i], retail ecommerce sales in Canada for 2015 are projected to be almost $30 billion, an increase of 16.8%. Anticipating continued growth in e-commerce, FedEx continues to make strategic investments as well as thorough preparations throughout Canada and the world in anticipation of the holiday season.
“Our FedEx Ground network in Canada is expanding considerably because Canadians are turning to online shopping and require affordable shipping solutions that they can depend on,” said Steve Myers, vice president of Operations (Canada), FedEx Ground. “We are growing because more and more Canadians realize the benefit of peace-of-mind that FedEx can offer.”
The FedEx Express global network offers time-definite delivery to more than 220 countries and territories that comprise more than 90 percent of the world’s GDP within one to three days.
Holiday Season Preparations: New Flight into Halifax, Expanded Retail Network
FedEx Corp. has taken several measures to prepare for the busy Peak season.
- The company has continued its strategic investment in network growth and capacity.
- The company is investing $1.6 billion in FedEx Ground this fiscal year, most of which is for capacity and automation, including more than 160 major expansion projects. This includes a 400,000 sq. ft. hub in Vaughan, Ontario that is currently under construction.
- FedEx Express has enhanced the capabilities of its global network through a fleet modernization program that saw 30 new, more reliable and efficient aircraft added over the past year (2 B777Fs, 18 B767Fs and 10 B757Fs);
- There will also be a new addition of a B757 to the domestic air fleet in Canada. Commencing Nov. 2, 2015, this new flight will service the Canadian maritime provinces and will deepen this region’s connectivity with Western and Central Canada.
- FedEx Express added Enhanced Vision Systems to 250 aircraft, which will greatly improve pilots’ ability to land in low visibility conditions and mitigate potential weather delays. The company is the only U.S. carrier with FAA approval to use the technology as low as 100 feet on instrument approaches.
- An expanded retail network with two of Canada’s premier companies. Canadians can benefit from shipping assistance with the full suite of FedEx services, at any of the 423 FedEx counters nation-wide including locations at select Home Hardware locations, all Super C stores based in Quebec, and all FedEx Office locations throughout Canada.
FedEx takes the worry out your holiday shipping with various tools such as online tracking options, packaging services, and a diverse range of convenient delivery arrangements;
Visit www.fedex.ca to learn how FedEx can serve you this holiday season!
About FedEx Corp.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $48 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world’s most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 325,000 team members to remain “absolutely, positively” focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit about.van.fedex.com/newsroom.
Certain statements in this press release may be considered “forward-looking” statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 with respect to future events and financial performance. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from those contemplated (expressed or implied) by such forward-looking statements, because of, among other things, economic conditions in the global markets in which we operate, the impact of any international conflicts or terrorist activities, disruptions to the Internet or our technology infrastructure, the impact of changes in fuel prices and foreign currency exchange rates and adverse weather conditions or natural disasters, as well as the other risks and uncertainties you can find in FedEx’s and its subsidiaries’ press releases and SEC filings, including the risk factors in FedEx’s most recent annual report on Form 10-K, as updated by FedEx’s quarterly reports on Form 10-Q.
# # #
  eMarketer, January 2015. “Retail Ecommerce Sales in Canada to Near $30 Billion.”
You may also like:
January 28, 2020
More like this in Newsroom
October 17, 2019
More like this in blog