Seven FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Idaho Truck Driving Championship
MERIDIAN, Idaho – June 11, 2013 – Seven drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 Idaho State Truck Driving Championship in Meridian on June 8.
- Matt Housley, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Boise, captured his second state title with a win in the 3-Axle class.
- Fellow FedEx Freight driver Curtis Smith (Boise) finished first in the Tank Truck class.
- Mike Perkins, a driver for Silvester Distributing, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Boise, posted first place in the Step Van class. He also earned the Rookie of the Year award.
- FedEx Freight driver Jeremy Alt (Mountain Home) placed second in the 5-Axle Sleeper class.
- Jason Maestas, a driver for Healy Incorporated, and Jerry Healy, owner of Healy Incorporated, completed the sweep in the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively. Both are based at the FedEx Ground station in Boise.
- Tim Miller (Mountain Home) finished third in the Twins class. Miller drives for FedEx Freight.
Housley, Smith and Perkins will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Idaho state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The Idaho State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
June 20, 2017
More like this in Newsroom
May 8, 2017
More like this in Newsroom