Seven FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the New Mexico Truck Driving Championship
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – April 23, 2013 – Seven drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 New Mexico State Truck Driving Championship in Albuquerque on April 20.
- Chris Shaw, a driver for FedEx Express based in Albuquerque, earned his fourth consecutive state title, this year in the Straight Truck class. He also took home the Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- Brooks Washburn, a FedEx Freight driver based in Albuquerque, also captured his fourth state title with a win in the 5-Axle class. He finished second in the same class at the 2007 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC).
- FedEx Express driver Eric Kurowski (Albuquerque) finished first in the Step Van Class.
- Ray Sandoval, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Albuquerque, placed second in the 3-Axle class.
- Emil Gonzales, owner of Pro Driver, Inc., based at the FedEx Ground station in Las Cruces, and Estevan Ortega, owner of Steel Demon, Inc., based at the FedEx Home Delivery station in Santa Fe, placed second and third, respectively, in the Step Van class.
- FedEx Freight driver Dion Saiz (Albuquerque) finished third in the Twins class.
Shaw, Washburn and Kurowski will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 NTDC, known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the New Mexico state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The New Mexico State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
December 22, 2017
More like this in Newsroom
October 31, 2017
More like this in blog