Seven FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the New York Truck Driving Championship
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – June 11, 2013 – Seven drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 New York State Truck Driving Championship in Syracuse on June 7-8.
- Mark McLean, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Newburgh, earned his sixth state title with a win in the Twins class. He was the second-place finisher in the same class at the National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC).
- Patrick Collins, owner of Patrick J. Collins, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Corning, captured the first-place trophy in the Step Van class.
- FedEx Express drivers James Kohr (Rochester) and Randy Swart (Syracuse) finished second in the Straight Truck and 3-Axle classes, respectively.
- Rochester-based FedEx Freight driver Randy Merle finished second in the 4-Axle class.
- Robert Jennings, a driver for Chase Delivery Service Inc. based at the FedEx Home Delivery station in Buffalo, and Luke Sanger, a driver for FDXPNY, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Plattsburgh, completed the sweep in the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
Additionally, FedEx Express driver Michael Guanciale (Syracuse) posted the highest score in the written exam portion of the competition.
McLean and Collins will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 NTDC, known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the New York state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The New York State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
May 1, 2019
More like this in Newsroom