Six FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the South Carolina Truck Driving Championship
COLUMBIA, S.C. – April 23, 2012 – Six drivers representing FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2012 South Carolina State Truck Driving Championship in Columbia on April 20-21.
- FedEx Freight driver Ray Shelton, based in Greenville, topped the competition in the Flatbed class for the second straight year. This marks his tenth state title.
- Walter “Dubby” Freeman, owner of Dubby C. Freeman, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Florence, earned first place in the Step Van class for the second consecutive year.
- Tommy Winston, a Greenville-based driver for FedEx Freight, won the Tank Truck title for his fourth state title. Tommy finished the 2011 season with a second-place finish in the Tank Truck class at the National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC).
- Charlie Wyder, a driver for Night Flyte, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Columbia, won his first state title in the 5-Axle Sleeper class.
- FedEx Express driver Steven Ward (Greer) finished second in the 3-Axle class, while Ernest Sykes, owner of Granddaddy’s Trucks Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Columbia, was second in the Step Van class.
The participants representing FedEx Freight also earned the Team Trophy.
Shelton, Freeman, Winston and Wyder will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2012 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 7-11 in Minneapolis, Minn. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“The entire team of drivers representing FedEx are dedicated to safety. It is an integral part of everything they do,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the South Carolina championship is a testament to their commitment to safety excellence.”
The South Carolina State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving skills test, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2011, 115 driving professionals from 45 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state’s competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Champion title in the Step Van class. In addition, FedEx drivers earned nine additional top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $42 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world’s most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.