Six FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the South Dakota Truck Driving Championship
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – May 13, 2013 – Six drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 South Dakota State Truck Driving Championship in Sioux Falls on May 11.
- Mike Whitehead, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Sioux Falls, captured the top spot in the Flatbed class for his sixth state title.
- The 2009 National 5-Axle champion, Troy Swenson, finished first in the Twins class for his sixth state title. Swenson is a driver for FedEx Freight based in Watertown. He also posted the highest score in the pre-trip inspection portion of the competition.
- Fellow Freight driver Chad Vermundson (Rapid City) took home the first-place trophy in the 3-Axle class for the second consecutive year.
- Brian Cusson, a driver for FedEx Freight domiciled in Rapid City, captured the first-place spot in the Tank Truck class for this second state title.
- John McCoy, a driver for Gebhard Trucking, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Rapid City, finished second in the Step Van class. He was also awarded Rookie of the Year.
- FedEx Freight driver Christopher Rieff (Sioux Falls) placed second in the 4-Axle class.
Whitehead, Swenson, Vermundson and Cusson will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the South Dakota state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The South Dakota State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
June 20, 2017
More like this in Newsroom
April 4, 2017
FedEx Freight CEO Michael L. Ducker Testifies on Freight Transportation Infrastructure and the U.S. Economy
More like this in Newsroom