Ten FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Arizona Truck Driving Championship
TEMPE, Ariz. – April 22, 2012 – Ten drivers representing FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2012 Arizona State Truck Driving Championship in Tempe on April 20-21.
- Sean Saxon, owner of Berly Q Inc. domiciled at the FedEx Ground station in Tempe, captured a first-place trophy for his fourth state title – this year in the Step Van class. He finished the 2011 season as the second-place finisher in the Straight Truck class at the National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC).
- Charlie Woodland is now a 13-time Arizona state champ with his first-place finish in the Straight Truck class. He is a driver for FedEx Freight in Phoenix.
- Shane Auclair took home the first-place trophy in the 3-Axle Class. He’s a driver for FedEx Freight based in Phoenix.
- Joseph Gross, owner of Three BT, Inc. domiciled at the FedEx Ground station in Tempe, and Russell Norman, a driver for Three BT, Inc., both earned second-place finishes in the Straight Truck and Step Van classes, respectively.
- FedEx Freight drivers Rob Hipkins (North Phoenix) and Brad Clyne (Tucson) both posted second-place finishes in the 4-Axle and Twins classes, respectively.
- Saul Lerma, owner of Lerma Transport Inc., placed third in the Step Van class. He is based at the FedEx Ground station in Yuma.
- David Budz (Flagstaff) and Rodney Pence (Phoenix), both FedEx Freight drivers, placed third in the Flatbed and Straight Truck classes, respectively.
Saxon, Woodland and Auclair will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2012 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 7-11 in Minneapolis, Minn. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“The entire team of drivers representing FedEx is dedicated to safety. It is an integral part of everything they do,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Arizona championship is a testament to their commitment to safety excellence.”
The Arizona State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving skills test, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2011, 115 driving professionals from 45 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state’s competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Champion title in the Step Van class. In addition, FedEx drivers earned nine additional top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $42 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world’s most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.
You may also like:
September 14, 2017
More like this in blog
June 7, 2017
More like this in Newsroom