Ten FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the California Truck Driving Championship
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – May 21, 2013 – Ten drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 California State Truck Driving Championship in Sacramento on May 19.
- Augie Lopez, a FedEx Express driver based in Irvine, captured his second state title, this year in the Straight Truck class. He also took home the Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- FedEx Freight driver Armando Camacho (Oakland) earned his first state title with a win in the 4-Axle class.
- Jose Lopez, owner of J Low, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Burbank, captured the top spot in the Step Van class.
- Salinas-based FedEx Freight driver Mario Terra finished second in the 3-Axle class.
- Barry Yeates, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Oakland, and Luis Guillen, owner of Victoria’s Delivery, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Whittier, finished the sweep in the Straight Truck class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- FedEx Freight drivers Edwardo Alvarez (Mira Loma) and Chad Jackson (Kettleman City) finished second and third, respectively, in the Twins class.
- Completing the sweep in the Step Van class were FedEx Express drivers Mark Aicega (Santa Rosa) and Eric Damon (Monterey) with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
A. Lopez, Camacho and J. Lopez will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the California state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The California State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
February 6, 2018
More like this in blog