Ten FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Colorado Truck Driving Championship
BRIGHTON, Colo. – June 2, 2014 – Ten drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2014 Colorado State Truck Driving Championship in Brighton on May 31.
- Todd Flippin, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Springfield, captured his third straight title, this year in the 4-Axle class. He also took home his second-consecutive Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes and posted the highest score on the Written Exam. In addition, Flippin was recognized with the Leo Wozniak Memorial Award, which is presented to the Colorado TDC competitor who best exemplifies true professionalism as evidenced by his or her driving record, skill, attitude and personality.
- FedEx Freight driver Brendan Sharp (Denver) won the Straight Truck class for the second consecutive year.
- Paul Book, of S&S Cargo, Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Denver, earned his second state title with a win in the Step Van class.
- Tyler Rogers, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Grand Junction, finished first in the Flatbed class.
- Fellow Grand Junction-based FedEx Freight driver Ralph Tibbetts took home his first state title in the Twins class.
- FedEx Freight drivers Paul Swan (Denver) and Jason Bridges (Grand Junction) placed second in the 3-Axle and Twins classes, respectively. Swan also posted the highest score in the Pre-Trip Inspection portion of the competition.
- William Garcia, of S&S Cargo, Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Denver, and Andres Maya, of Emanuel Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Englewood, completed the sweep of the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- Alan Bauler, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Denver, finished third in the Tank Truck class.
Additionally, FedEx Freight driver Michael Zabawa (Denver) was named Rookie of the Year.
Flippin, Sharp, Book, Rogers and Tibbetts will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2014 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 12-16 in Pittsburgh. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our team is dedicated to staying safe on the road,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The accomplishment of these participants at the Colorado state championship demonstrates the professionalism and dedication to safety found throughout the entire FedEx organization.”
The Colorado State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2013, 132 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Three FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Nine other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.
You may also like:
June 5, 2017
More like this in blog