Ten FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Connecticut Truck Driving Championship
WINDSOR LOCKS, Conn. – June 11, 2012 – Ten drivers representing FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2012 Connecticut State Truck Driving Championship in Windsor Locks on June 9.
- Paul Brandon, a FedEx Freight driver based in New Haven, captured his fourth straight state title with a win in the Tank Truck class. He also earned the Best Pre-Trip Inspection award.
- Tom Griffin, also a New Haven-based driver for FedEx Freight, attained his fourth state title – this one in the 5-Axle class.
- FedEx Express driver John Sanchez (Windsor Locks) won the Step Van class.
- Andrew Martin, a Stamford-based FedEx Express driver, finished first in the Straight Truck class.
- John Hendrick, a FedEx Express driver based in Windsor Locks, was second in the Straight Truck class. He also posted the highest score on the written exam among all competitors and earned the Rookie of the Year award.
- FedEx Freight driver Joey Moniz (New Haven) finished second in the 5-Axle Sleeper class.
- Bert Howard, a driver for Armadillo Transportation Services, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Hartford, posted second in the Twins class.
- FedEx Express driver Rodolfo Bernardo (Windsor Locks) finished second in the Step Van class.
- Tim Cohen and Karen Roderick, drivers for Armadillo Transportation Services, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Hartford, finished third in the 3-Axle and 5-Axle Sleeper classes, respectively.
In addition, the competitors representing FedEx Freight took home the first-place team trophy.
Brandon, Griffin, Sanchez and Martin will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2012 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 7-11 in Minneapolis, Minn. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“The entire team of drivers representing FedEx is dedicated to safety. It is an integral part of everything they do,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Connecticut championship is a testament to their commitment to safety excellence.”
The Connecticut State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving skills test, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2011, 115 driving professionals from 45 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state’s competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Champion title in the Step Van class. In addition, FedEx drivers earned nine additional top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
March 5, 2018
More like this in blog