Ten FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Massachusetts Truck Driving Championship
WEST BOYLSTON, Mass. – May 21, 2012 – Ten drivers representing FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2012 Massachusetts State Truck Driving Championship in West Boylston on May 20.
- Kathy Vantassell, a driver for FedEx Express based in East Boston, finished first in the 4-Axle class. She also earned the Grand Champion award for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- Roland Bolduc, a driver for FedEx Express based in Windsor Locks, Conn., earned his tenth state title, this year in the 3-Axle class.
- Fellow FedEx Express driver Ken Lincoln, based in Franklin, finished at the top of the 5-Axle class for his first state title. He was also named Rookie of the Year.
- Rich Gray, a FedEx Freight driver from Hartford, placed first in the Twins class for the second straight year.
- FedEx Express driver Thomas Reinold (West Boylston) placed first in the Step Van class.
- FedEx Express drivers John Rogers (Peabody), William Colantuone (Franklin) and Karen Tierney (Franklin) posted second-place finishes in the Step Van, Straight Truck and Tank Truck classes, respectively.
- Erin Westhall, a driver for Roger Boulet Transport, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Worcester, finished second in the 5-Axle Sleeper class.
§ Jon Nelson, owner of Nelson Delivery, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Brockton, posted third in the Step Van class.
Vantassell, Bolduc, Lincoln, Gray and Reinold will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2012 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 7-11 in Minneapolis, Minn. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“The entire team of drivers representing FedEx is dedicated to safety. It is an integral part of everything they do,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Massachusetts championship is a testament to their commitment to safety excellence.”
The Massachusetts State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving skills test, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2011, 115 driving professionals from 45 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state’s competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Champion title in the Step Van class. In addition, FedEx drivers earned nine additional top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
March 29, 2018
More like this in Newsroom
December 14, 2017
More like this in blog