Ten FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Minnesota Truck Driving Championship
FRIDLEY, Minn. – June 11, 2013 – Ten drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 Minnesota State Truck Driving Championship in Fridley on June 8-9.
- Bill Pudney, a driver for FedEx Express based in St. Paul, captured his sixth state title with a win in the Straight Truck class.
- Fellow FedEx Express driver Chris Rapsch (St. Paul) won in the Step Van class for the second time in three years.
- FedEx Freight drivers Paul Butkowski (St. Cloud) and Steven Kranz (Duluth) finished second in the 3-Axle and Twins classes, respectively.
- Julian Miranda, owner of Julian Miranda Trucking, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground hub in St. Paul, took second in the Flatbed class.
- Two St. Paul-based drivers, Reggie Copeland (FedEx Freight) and Kerry Wicklander (FedEx Express), completed the sweep in the Straight Truck class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively. Copeland also posted the highest score in the pre-trip inspection portion of the competition.
- Milton Brandt, a driver for Warner Road Trucking, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in St. Paul, and Ken Wilkowski, a driver for FedEx Express based in St. Paul, finished the sweep of the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes.
- Corey Jensen, a driver for Mora Power, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground hub in St. Paul, finished third in the 5-Axle Sleeper class.
In addition, FedEx Freight driver Matt Simon (Owatonna) was named Rookie of the Year.
Pudney and Rapsch will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Minnesota state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The Minnesota State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
April 26, 2018
More like this in Newsroom
March 6, 2015
More like this in blog