Ten FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Utah Truck Driving Championship
SALT LAKE CITY – June 9, 2014 – Ten drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2014 Utah State Truck Driving Championship in Salt Lake City on June 6-7.
- Dan Brophy, of D & E Delivery Services, Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Provo, took home his second consecutive Step Van title.
- FedEx Freight driver Mike Williams (Salt Lake City) won the Straight Truck class.
- Mark Bocanegra, of Manx, Inc., and Todd Hutcheson, of BGRA Enterprises, Inc., both domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Cedar City, finished the sweep in the Step Van Class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- Steven Clark, of I. & G. Ugarte Trucking, Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground hub in Salt Lake City, and Kay Cragun, a driver for FedEx Freight based in N. Salt Lake City, placed second and third, respectively, in the 3-Axle class.
- Salt Lake City-based FedEx Freight drivers Dennis Thyfault and Randall Brady took home the second- and third-place trophies, respectively, in the 4-Axle class.
- Mike Kelly, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Salt Lake City, was third in the Twins class.
Bruce Lamont, of No Sweat, Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Logan, came in third in the Straight Truck class.
Additionally, the competitors representing FedEx Freight earned the Team Trophy.
Brophy and Williams will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2014 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 12-16 in Pittsburgh. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our team is dedicated to staying safe on the road,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The accomplishment of these participants at the Utah state championship demonstrates the professionalism and dedication to safety found throughout the entire FedEx organization.”
The Utah State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2013, 132 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Three FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Nine other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.