Twelve FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the New Jersey Truck Driving Championship
SOMERSET, N.J. – June 11, 2012 – Twelve drivers representing FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2012 New Jersey State Truck Driving Championship in Somerset on June 8-9.
- Joe White, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Newark, captured first place in the 3-Axle class. He also earned the Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- Lester Beben, a driver for FedEx Freight based in South Brunswick, won the 5-Axle Sleeper class for his fourth state title.
- Cinnaminson-based FedEx Freight driver Jim Erickson earned his second straight state title in the 5-Axle class.
- Artur Lesniowski, owner of Artur’s Express Corp. based at the FedEx Ground station in Moonachie, captured the first-place trophy in the Step Van class.
- FedEx Express drivers Erasmo Ferrante (Elizabeth) and Bart Masciulli (Mount Laurel) posted second in the 4-Axle and Step Van classes, respectively.
- FedEx Freight driver Tom Bass (Vineland) finished second in the Flatbed class.
- Nicholas Ciardiello, owner of NC Enterprises, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground Station in Woodbridge, was second in the Straight Truck class.
- Freight drivers Carlose London (Cinnaminson) and Mike Egan (Wayne) finished third in the 5-Axle Sleeper and 4-Axle class, respectively. London also earned the Rookie of the Year award.
- FedEx Express driver Geraldine Parella (Eatontown) finished third in the Step Van class.
- Harold McCarsky Jr., a driver for Izet Trucking, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Woodbridge, finished third in the Tank Truck class.
White, Beben, Erickson and Lesniowski will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2012 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 7-11 in Minneapolis, Minn. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“The entire team of drivers representing FedEx is dedicated to safety. It is an integral part of everything they do,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the New Jersey championship is a testament to their commitment to safety excellence.”
The New Jersey State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving skills test, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2011, 115 driving professionals from 45 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state’s competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Champion title in the Step Van class. In addition, FedEx drivers earned nine additional top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
December 13, 2016
More like this in blog