Twelve FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the North Carolina Truck Driving Championship
SMITHFIELD, N.C. – May 13, 2013 – Twelve drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 North Carolina State Truck Driving Championship in Smithfield on May 10-11.
- Michael Bills, a FedEx Express driver domiciled in Cary, won his third consecutive state title, this year in the Straight Truck class.
- FedEx Express driver David Rohman (Charlotte) earned the first-place title in the 4-Axle class.
- Karen Wigand, owner of Empire Freight Incorporated based at the FedEx Ground station in Greensboro, captured first place in the Step Van class. Wigand was also named Rookie of the Year.
- FedEx Express drivers Tony Allen and Neil Morgan (Greensboro) finished second in the Twins and Tank Truck classes, respectively.
- Jimmy Whitley, owner of Whitley Trucking, Inc. domiciled at the FedEx Ground hub in Greensboro, took home the second-place trophy in the 5-Axle Sleeper class.
- FedEx Express drivers Matt Alberts (Greensboro) and Paul Caruolo (Raleigh) finished the sweep in the Straight Truck class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- Completing the sweep in the Step Van class were FedEx Express drivers Kevin Buck (Cary) and Vincent Lee (Greensboro) with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- FedEx Freight drivers David Young and Cecil Hicks (Charlotte), placed third in the 5-Axle and Tank Truck classes, respectively.
Bills, Rohman and Wigand will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the North Carolina state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The North Carolina State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
October 10, 2017
More like this in blog
September 20, 2017
More like this in Newsroom