Twelve FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the North Dakota Truck Driving Championship
FARGO, N.D. – June 4, 2013 – Twelve drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 North Dakota State Truck Driving Championship in Fargo on June 1.
- Bob Benson, a driver for FedEx Express based in Grand Forks, captured his first state title with a win in the 5-Axle class.
- Jason Handeland, a driver for Vetter Trucking, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Fargo, finished first in the 5-Axle Sleeper class.
- Chris Kraft, a driver for DTDS Corp. based at the FedEx Ground station in Fargo, won the Step Van class.
- FedEx Freight driver James Swancy (Fargo) finished second in the Tank Truck class. He also was named Rookie of the Year.
- Fargo-based FedEx Freight drivers Steve Thordarson, Dean Eklund and Scott Meyers finished second in the 4-Axle, Straight Truck and 3-Axle classes, respectively.
- Randy Anton, a FedEx Freight driver based in Bismarck, took home the second-place trophy in the 5-Axle class.
- Chris Martens, a driver for FedEx Express in Fargo, and Dustin Freitag, a driver for DTDS Corp. based at the FedEx Ground station in Fargo, finished second and third in the Step Van class, respectively.
- FedEx Freight drivers Ron Ackerland and Dan Reynolds placed third in the 5-Axle Sleeper and Twins classes, respectively. Both are based in Fargo.
Benson, Handeland, and Kraft will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the North Dakota state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The North Dakota State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
You may also like:
August 20, 2019
More like this in Newsroom
February 18, 2015
More like this in blog