Quality Driven Management
Customers define quality — FedEx delivers through QDM
Customer needs are changing at lightning speed. As FedEx delivers an average of 14 million packages each day, we go beyond simply keeping pace. Our 450,000-plus team members worldwide share a powerful commitment to our customers: “I will make every FedEx experience outstanding.”
No matter how remarkable FedEx quality may be, we continually strive to do better for customers and for each other.
How we keep improving
To help us consistently deliver exceptional outcomes, we developed a quality system as unique as FedEx, the company that created the overnight delivery industry.
Quality Driven Management (QDM) is how we deliver on two critical goals:
- Deliver the superior experiences customers expect.
- Drive superior business performance, improving safety and eliminating waste, cost and effort.
A quality system for the service industry
Quality is in our DNA. Since our founding 45 years ago, FedEx has been dedicated first and foremost to service excellence. We define quality not only in statistical terms but also in terms of customer expectations.
We drew upon this legacy when we created QDM, naturally placing the customer at the center.
Based on the best, optimized for FedEx
QDM draws on the best concepts and practices from many quality philosophies and methodologies, including Six Sigma, Lean, Total Quality Management, Design Thinking and Agile.
What’s different with QDM? The full spectrum of principles and tools focuses on driving improvements for customers above all else. QDM includes an enterprise-wide system of metrics called the FedEx Service Quality Index, which keeps us focused on the things that matter most to customers.
Continuous improvement made agile
In a world defined by near-constant disruptive change and ongoing innovation, today’s brightest ideas and best solutions can be displaced tomorrow. For this reason, a quality system must be nimble.
QDM is uniquely flexible, so it can address virtually any challenge or opportunity — from one-day projects that fix operational inefficiencies to multi-year initiatives that lead to major innovations.
Core to our culture
The true power of the FedEx quality system lies with the people who use it to solve everyday challenges and take bold ideas from concept to execution. Across our company, from the executive suite to the front line, FedEx team members both learn and teach QDM.
Through this quality system, our diverse global workforce finds a common approach to collaboration that helps everyone drive action on business and customer priorities.
Put QDM to work for you
We succeed when our customers succeed. If you’re a business owner and you’re seeking ways to take your customer service to the next level, take a look at the QDM principles we’re sharing here.
Whether your challenge is reducing errors, improving safety or driving a consistent customer experience, QDM provides principles and tools that will lead you to the right answers — and unleash growth.
- Principle #1: Customers define quality. Take an outside-in perspective.
- Principle #2: Be scientific. When your business is at stake, it’s no time for guesswork. Analyze challenges and opportunities like scientists and use root-cause analysis.
- Principle #3: Measure, measure, measure. It’s impossible to improve or gauge success without measurement. Put a stake in the ground and then track your progress.
- Principle #4: Optimize business performance. In our view, quality is determined by the customer.
- Principle #5: Quality involves teamwork. Every team member in the company — from the chairman to our newest hire — owns QDM.
- Principle #6: View failures as opportunities. Help people see failure differently — through the lens of process, not blame. When people are less fearful, they take the kinds of chances that can change the game!